A Japanese crime novelist and a small town sheriff are lured into the same strange murder mystery in this idiosyncratic and engrossing neo-noir. Unfolding on the backstreets and outskirts of San Francisco, Man from Reno is sinister and seductive by turns.
In a small town south of San Francisco, Sheriff Paul Del Moral (Pepe Serna) is driving home through the fog when he accidentally strikes a pedestrian, a lone Japanese man. However, before an investigation can take place the man disappears from the hospital without a trace.
At the same time, Japanese mystery author Aki Akahori (Ayako Fujitani) takes a trip to San Francisco in order to escape the press tour for her latest book--a potboiler in her world famous "Inspector Takabe" series. Feeling lonely and vulnerable, she begins a romantic affair with a mysterious Japanese traveler from Reno (Kazuki Kitamura).
Her new lover is charismatic and charming but abruptly disappears from the hotel, leaving behind his suitcase and a trail of questions...
- Los Angeles Film Festival
- Japan Cuts (NY)
- Fantastic Fest
- Asian Film Festival of Dallas
- Tallgrass International Film Festival
- American Film Festival, Wroclaw, Poland
- San Diego Asian Film Festival
- Naples International Film Festival
- Vancouver Asian Film Festival
- Starz Denver Film Festival
- Glasgow International Film Festival